Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Nepal List

It is only fitting that I post my "final thoughts" about this trip, especially since I've had some time to think about everything and put it in perspective. For some reason a list feels like a good idea.

THE NEPAL LIST

1. Poverty is nothing we can imagine in the US. It is so much bigger than our version of poverty.

2. Pollution in a third world country is life threatening on a daily basis. Piles of black, rotting garbage lining the street run into the small, local rivers that run through the city every time in rains. Water trucks pump water from the rivers, which are also surrounded by mountains of garbage.

3. Be thankful for garbage services, especially recycling!
4. Respect for living things (including the earth) is cultural and learned.

5. If a woman is sitting on the floor of a packed bus with a newborn infant, you should give her your seat.


6. People in poverty don't have the luxury of wearing clothes to match the season. Wearing t-shirts and shorts in 100 degree weather is a true luxury.

7. Running water is heaven.

8. Smiles and nods go a LONG way.


9. Spend time with your family, no matter what. I realized how much I need them when I was half way around the world.


10. I learned to be truly independent. Relying on a phone call or email to cheer me up did the opposite when the power was out- I had to FIND ways to cope all on my own.


11. You'll care about something more if you actually see and experience it. I've given money to MANY charities in the past, but never really experienced what the money was going towards. Going to Nepal, working in the orphanages, and living the lifestyle makes me care about helping the kids and people of Nepal more than if I hadn't been there.


12. Give time and if you can't give that give money. A little money goes a long way if given to the right cause.


13. Dogs without owners bark more at night. Adopt a dog for everyone's sanity.

14. In countries where they don't eat cow, they eat goat. It's just as gross.


15. There is no Tofu in Nepal even though soy beans are grown just outside Nepal in China. It's too expensive. Being vegetarian means rice, rice, rice, and vegetables.


16. Don't go to Nepal if you can't eat curry. You will starve.


17. Note to self: I don't get sick eating the food in Nepal, I get sick readjusting to the food here when I come back.


18. The idea that teachers shouldn't hug kids (especially elementary school teachers) because they could be accused of inappropriate touching is BS. The kids I worked with wanted and needed hugs every chance they could get. Hugs are therapeutic and some kids need them more than others.


19. It is possible to fit 31 people in a Toyota van. I have proof.


20. Always take Tylenol PM on long flights. Always.


21. Thank God I grew up camping and pooping in the woods. At least I had that going for me.

22. No matter how much you want to take a kid home (Gita!), someone will stop you.

I have so many stories and things to say about my time in Nepal that I find it hard to sort it all out in my head. Overall, my trip was one of the best things I've ever done in my life. When people ask, "How was your trip?" all I can say is hard, but amazing. The environment was harsh and shocking, but the kids were amazing and all of the people were so nice. I went to a third world country and I came back wanting to go back for more. That says it all.

No comments: