Monday, July 13, 2009

It's Dog Thirty

What time is it? It's dog-thirty. The 13,561 street dogs of Nepal are barking right now and three of the of the seven volunteers are scuttling around (at 11 pm) getting ready to leave at 6 am for their placements. Therefore, I can't sleep. I'm a little anxious about my last day tomorrow and making the long trip home, too.

I bought a selection of 5 different slices of cakes at the local "wal-mart" (it's not, but it is) to celebrate my last night tonight. They all had the faint taste of soap. I never got traveler's flu here, but the cake might do it. We all had Dalbat (the national dish that is eaten twice everyday), omelets (hello, protein!), and forks full of random cake to celebrate my last night. Afterward we went to restaurant I like nearby, the only one near by, to have beer, but all three tables were totally full. Emma, who is going to come back in a couple of months to work for Michael, went in to ask if we could get beer to go and the owner invited us to sit on the back patio- his back yard (they live above the restaurant. So, the 7 of us sat on the owners patio in the dark drinking beer and telling stories from our stay and hanging out with is dog. It was the perfect last night.

Today I spent my time at Swayambhu, a beautiful Buddhist temple in Kathmandu. The temple is known at the Monkey Temple because of all the monkeys who live in, on and around the temple. There are thousands of stairs leading up and around the temple and many different temples within. I specifically asked to go there since I heard it has great views of the city. I wasn't disappointed and even got to see a monkey chase two local boys who were sitting on a bench in the temple. It was super funny until a monkey approached me and I was trying to remember if I got a rabies shot. We hiked around the temple for a long time and then had lunch before heading back to the volunteer house.

Once we got back Kelsie, Makenzie, and I headed out to find a phone, somewhere local that would print my pictures in one day (mission accomplished), and a jump drive so I can take Jesse's pictures & video home with me. We hoofed it around Dhapasi and Basandara (the local neighborhoods) but finally decided to take a taxi to Batbutini, the wal-mart of Nepal (except, there is only one). I bought a jump drive and some color books and crayons for Gita. When I got back to use the jump drive, which cost roughly as much as it would have in the US, I realized it was used. There was permanent writing on the back of it and the part that gets inserted in the computer was dirty and gummy. Damn it. So, needless to say it doesn't work and I have to fight traffic and barter with a taxi to get me back there again tomorrow. Annoying.

Well, back to Nepali Wal-Mart tomorrow and to pick-up the pictures to leave for Gita, then to the airport. Pray for no bundhas and a correct, hand-written ticket (uh, yeah) and I'll be on my way!

One more thing, I just reviewed a few blog entries to remember what I've shared and reflect a little and I read all of my errors...the perfectionist in me wants to fix them, the Nepal in me says "who cares?" and the power is taunting, "I'm going to go out on you before you can get them fixed anyway!" : ) I knew you'd understand.

See you so very soon, L

PS. Tried to pack Gita, she wouldn't fit.

1 comment:

Chris Nimick said...

Sounds like the perfect last night, beer and cake.
Darn it, next time I will send a larger roll up back pack for Gita.
Imperfections are what make us interesting and different, leave them or the power will punish you!!>:o)
Im sure your departure will be perfect.Fly safe and may the Good Lord and the Grandpa Stan see you safely home to us, cant wait to see and hear and share. In case I havent mentioned it, we are all very proud of you. Oh, and we hope that somewhere between Khatmandu and home, you get a nice hot, delousing shower!!
Fly safe, get some sleep.
Love MOM.2