Thursday, June 25, 2009

Good Bye!

Today I followed the same routine in the morning and then got to chat with Justin (the first time we've really been able to talk-talk).  Justin noticed I didn't seem to be responding to things like he thought I would and he's right. I have been feeling a little overwhelmed and having a hard time taking everything in.  I can write about it and even talk about it, but I can't really give my perceptions or thoughts about it all.  I just need more time to process everything.  I can't wait until I can come home and actually share what everything is really like with you.  Once you can see the pictures I've taken you'll be able to better understand the magnitude of my experiences. But for now, the technical writing will have to do. 


Last night I attended a birthday party at the Possibility House (they boys hostel) for Daddy, known as Vinod to adults (picture above, you can't even tell there are 53 children there because they are in the rooms facing into the entry way where they candles are).  It was the happiest party I've ever been to.  The kids (53) made him cards and each one presented their card saying, "Happy Birthday Daddy!" and "Love you Daddy!" Then Vinod opened his three presents and each time he opened a card or a present the children would cheer at the top of their lungs.  They all sang happy birthday to him and it was the best sound I've ever heard- Happy Birthday with a strong Nepali accent.  I have it on video to share when I get home.  The power went out right before the party so all of the festivities were by candlelight.  Two small cakes fed 60 people and Vinod and Aleesha (his American girlfriend) had their cake as a married couples do on their wedding day. The children cheered as they smashed it in each others faces.  Then there was dancing and singing by candlelight, talent show style, as gifts from the children for Vinod.  It was the best birthday party ever. 

Today I went out with Vinod, Aleesha and Jesse to Themmel where I was able to have buy school supplies, soap, and a Kurta (traditional dress to wear during my placement in Narti).  We also went to lunch as a nice, Americanized restaurant.  I was feeling very home sick this morning so I treated myself to fattening food I normally wouldn't eat at home.  We had a great time. Vinod is a comic and had me laughing all day long.  I bought my kurta on the way home and it was only a few miles from the house.  Monsoon finally hit today while walking home and it made for a muddy, slippery walk up hill. But, I was laughing all the way and it was the first time in the afternoon I couldn't smell my own BO (gross, but true).  Thank God for monsoon.  We stopped at the market to buy potatoes when I glanced the wrong way to see a goat's head being cut off at the butcher "shop." All of me wanted to cry, but I held it in until I got home.  It is important to me that I remember that I'm not here to judge or impose my views, simply to observe and help.  Therefore, the goat crying stayed in until I made it to the volunteer house bathroom.

The lesson for the day: I can eat American food, but I'm still in Nepal.

Finally, we made it home and I've been packing to leave for Narti tomorrow morning at 5:30 am. The bus ride will take 12 hours assuming there are no Bundahs (road strikes).  I am not looking forward to it, but I am looking forward to seeing some country, mountain side and breathing some fresh air.  I will be there until roughly the 11th or 12th of July.  I'll be living with and teaching girls from the Kamlari system, which is indentured servitude.  The girls have been rescued and are now in the care of VolunteerNepal.  Many of the girls come there not knowing how to hold a pencil or use the toilet. If they do well in Narti they are then released to the homes I've been helping at in Kathmandu.  

If you're interested, one of my housemates, who has raised TONS of money and spends much time here made a video of the children from the past week.  These are some of the same kids I've been working with since I've been here.  Notice how happy they seem. There energy, determination and happiness in the video is completely genuine and it doesn't even really do them justice. 


I will post again when I return from Narti and before I leave Nepal to come home.  Love you, miss you and see you soon! - Laura

PS.  It is very late here...I don't have time to proof read! : ) 


3 comments:

Yenny said...

So cool, you are a rock star! I miss you and can't wait to hear it all when you get back.

This just in...Michael Jackson in a coma. First I read he died, cardiac arrest...I'll let you know when I can confirm whether he is living or dead.

Love you, miss you, besos besos besos,

Yen

(Of course I don't have anything significant to say, I know you aren't surprised)

Unknown said...

I have read your unproof read blog post and it is fabulous to share your experiences with you as you go. Thank you, and Im sorry about the goats head.
I can confirm for Yen that Michael Jackson did indeed die, probably of cardiac arrest-autopsy tomorrow, this afternoon 2:26pm in California.Also Farrah Fawcett this morning, tough day in Hollywood, but in the larger scheme, life as usual..
I know we will have to be patient but I eagerly await your next chapter!
Yen is right, you are a rock star!
Take good care.
Love Mom-2

Anonymous said...

My dear Laura,

Wow! I just read your blog for the first time and didn't think I'd have so much to catch up on. That's so cool you had so many opportunities to make an entry. The pics are fabulous...the children are all so beautiful. You truly will come back a different person...even better if that's possible. Be safe. Love, Ruth