Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hi from Hong Kong

Hi there! I just got done spending the day in Hong Kong. My flight got in around 6:30 HK time this morning and I managed to find my way through this GIANT airport (no kidding, there are probably 1,000 shops and restraunts), pass my swine flu screening and make it through customs even though I filled out the wrong paperwork.
Then I called home via a pay phone because unlike At&t said, I don't have cell service here (so I'm guessing I won't in Kathmandu, either). I headed into Hong Kong via train. When I got there I was planning on going to The Peak (see previous post for the link), but when I got off the train I got lost. The problem is that the tram for The Peak was actually further than the train station map elluded and people don't walk on the streets (for the most part) because there are sky bridges linking most buildings. So, I decided to ditch that plan (I didn't want to have to deal with taking the bus) and to just hoof it around the city.
I started on the sky bridge, but that just led me to shops that required a security guard, and signing in and out before shopping (no thank you!). Then I headed back the other direction toward the water. I took the sky bridge down the piers and people watch, read, and wrote a little while watching the boats, water taxis and ferries. Everyone pretty much ignored me except for a monk who gave me a blessing and then asked for a donation. I gave him $10 HK (just under $2.00) and he asked for more. Apparently blessing come with a bigger price tag than I thought. He had cargo pants on under his monk suit, hmmmm...
Then I went to a small farmers market on one of the piers and had some local beans and fruit (not sure what it was, but it was sweet and juicy), some cucumber sushi and little Chinese cakes for lunch. Once I was done with that I headed back to the train station but made sure to stop and buy a new t-shirt on the way to replace the stinky, dirty one I was wearing.
I got back to the airport about an hour ago, grabbed my things from the locker I rented and then headed for the Pay-In Showers Jayme told me about (thank you, I love you!). This place is awesome. For about $35 US (including a tip) I got my own private bathroom to shower (including soaps & stuff), a three course lunch (which has some of the best soup I've ever had), iced peach tea, and unlimited internet access. I would have paid that much just for a shower; I STUNK.
My flight leaves in about four hours (7 pm HK) and I'll arrive in Kathmandu at about 10 pm their time. The flight is just under five hours and is a relief compared to the 14 hour flight yesterday/today. The flight from SFO to Hong Kong was weird. It felt like we were chasing the sun. It was dark, dark, dark for a good 15 hours from the time I hit San Fran. until the time the sun peaked through before landing in Hong Kong. It felt like I was watching the sun rise just behind the plane for about 2 hours, it just wouldn't pop up, but you could see the light line. When the plan landed I couldn't even see the runway, only water. I wasn't sure we were even going to hit land until the tires hit the pavement. It was kind of spooky. All I could think about is the plane that landed in the Hudson.
I'd better head up to my final flight on this leg of my trip (yey!). I'm eager to be in Nepal already and I'm feeling more confident about my ability to communicate and get around. Don't get me wrong, Nepal is far less domesticated and English friendly, but I'm willing to bet the people are friendlier than in Hong Kong (they're not mean, they just don't really smile much).
Anyway, off I go. See you sooner than later! Love, Laura

1 comment:

Miss Handy said...

I forgot to mention, this picture was taken from the train station when I arrived in downtown Hong Kong. It's not the best picture, but it was a pain to download so I wasn't about to try again. You can see the rest when I get back. : ) L