Friday, June 19, 2009

It's Go Time

Is it bad that I'm not even packed yet? Even the dogs are getting annoyed. I leave for the airport in a few hours and I feel like I might throw-up and cry at the same time. I'm excited to be IN Nepal, but not excited about getting there. I have a 2 hour flight to San Francisco with a three hour layover, then a 13 hour flight to Hong Kong with a 12 hour layover, and finally a 6 hour flights to Kathmandu.

Jayme, Justin's sister, did some online research for me (thank you!) and found a tram & ferry ride I can take to see some of Hong Kong during my layover. At this point I think I'm going to head into the city and then take the tram up to a place called The Peak, which has food, shopping and views of the city. That sounds like a good way to spend a few hours and I feel fairly confident I can find my way back to the airport when I'm done.

Once I get to Nepal I'll spend 3-5 days getting adjusted, learning about the culture, visiting historical sites, learning how to spend their money. Once I'm comfortable (or as comfortable as I'm going to get) I'll most likely be put in a teaching placement in a rural area, but there is the possibility I'll stay in Kathmandu. When I first decided to do this I was sure I wanted to stay in Kathmandu, but now that I've had some time to think about it, I think getting a rural placement would be a more valuable use of my time and a better learning experience. I'll just have to wait and see what the stars have alligned for me.

No comments: