Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Trinkets and Things

Many of you asked what you could send with me for the children and my answer was, "I don't know!?" After some investigation I've come up with some ideas for you.

Small Trinkets & Toys: Because I'm traveling VERY light (one bag) anything I bring must be very small and light. The kids where I'll be volunteering have very few toys and school supplies, if any. The toys they do have are frequently "borrowed" by neighborhood children who are also lacking play things. So, with that in mind, here are my suggestions: bracelets, Chinese jump ropes, jump ropes, bouncy balls, silly putty, brightly colored yarn (to make yarn dolls), very small, stuffed toys, etc. Keep in mind, toys cannot contain liquid, they won't make it through security.

Cash: A few dollars in Nepal can go a long way. The money could be spent on teaching supplies for the schools I'll be teaching in, or on fresh fruit to supplement the diets of children and families whose primary source of nutrition is rice and vegetables (malnutrition is a big problem, especially for orphaned babies). Another basic need is medications to treat ear and eye infections, diaper rash, and other common ailments.

If you'd like to donate cash and have it used a certain way, I'm happy to make sure the money is spent as you choose.

As always, I appreciate everyone's well wishes and support as I'm starting to freak about a bit about getting on a plane (by myself -eek!) and flying half way around the world (literally). There are just over two weeks until I leave...where did the time go?

No comments: